RE Official Information Act request WCDHB 9318
I refer to your email dated 19 June 2019 requesting information under the Official Information Act from West Coast DHB regarding priority spending and cancer treatment.
DHBs do not really have priority areas for spending, that would suggest a higher level of discretion and discretionary funding is very limited. Where we do have choices, the three strategic objectives which underpin our strategic direction and influence our funding decisions, along with our decision making framework are:
- The development of services that support people to stay well and enable them to take greater responsibly for their own health,
- The development of primary/community-based services that support people in the community and provide a point of ongoing continuity, which for most people will be general practice,
- The freeing-up of hospital-based specialist resources to be more response to episodic events, provide timely access to more complex care and specialist advice to primary care.
- What is the DHB’s top 10 priorities for spending in the 2019/20 financial year?
- What were the DHB’s top 10 priorities for spending in each of the past 5 financial years?
- What has been the proportion of patients accepted for urgent diagnostic colonoscopy who received the procedure within 14 days (2 weeks) for each of the last 5 years? And what is the target for 2019/20?
- What has been the proportion of patients who received their first treatment (or other management) within 62 days of being referred with a high suspicion of cancer and a need to be seen within 2 weeks, for each of the last 5 years; and what is the target for 2019/20?
- Please also provide any spending priorities or targets the DHB has to hand for the years beyond 2019/20, if those exist.
- Any current most-recent statement of DHB priorities regarding cancer management or treatment, or concerns with that, that the Ministry has been briefed on or received any report about, oral or written, from your DHB in the 2018/2019 or 2019/20 years to date.