Tuesday 1 February 2022Health news3 minutes to read
Please attribute to Philip Wheble, Incident Controller – West Coast DHB
West Coast DHB is preparing for the forecast severe weather set to arrive on the West Coast in the early hours of tomorrow (Wednesday) morning.
- One inpatient currently in Buller Health’s Foote Ward is being transferred by St John Ambulance to Te Nikau Hospital in Greymouth this evening. Foote Ward will be closed for the duration of the weather event.
- Buller Medical will see patients in the morning and there are plans to provide care from an alternative location in the afternoon if needed. We will provide a further update tomorrow regarding on-going access to health care.
- O’Conor Rest Home in Westport has planning underway for evacuation tomorrow. This will involve 68 patients being transferred to alternative accommodation – some will be going to family, or to a facility in Nelson-Marlborough, some will be moved to Te Nikau with most being transferred to Christchurch.
COVID-19 Vaccination Clinics
The following vaccination centres will also be closed due to the expected flooding.
- Westport COVID-19 vaccination clinic will be closed from tomorrow (Wednesday) and re-opening on Tuesday 8 February.
- Haast mobile clinic planned for tomorrow has been cancelled.
Paediatric day surgery planned for tomorrow at Te Nikau Hospital will go ahead. We will provide further updates tomorrow regarding surgical appointments booked for later in the week.
Accessing health care
Remember, if you need health advice, please call Healthline on 0800 611 116 – calls are answered 24/7. If you need to be seen, they will tell you what to do and where to go.
- If it’s an emergency, call 111 as per usual
- For wellbeing support you can talk to a counsellor free of charge, call or text 1737 any time of the day or night.
- For pregnancy support and advice over the phone, please call your LMC/midwife.
- You can also visit our HealthInfo website for trusted health advice on a range of issues.
- If you require essential prescription medications and your supply is running low, call your usual GP number for advice.
Check and restock your emergency kit and follow the advice of your local Civil Defence group
To check what you may need, visit https://getready.govt.nz/prepared/household/supplies/
Here is a link with flood-specific advice: https://getready.govt.nz/emergency/floods/
For the latest updates, ‘like’ your local District Council’s Facebook page, or check the latest news on their website:
Tags Buller Healthfacilitiesmedia releaseTe Nīkau Grey Hospital & Health CentreWeatherWest Coast
Facilitiespatient safetyRural healthService interruptionsSouth WestlandTe Nīkau Grey Hospital and Health CentreWest CoastWestport
Back to Health News