A printer-friendly flyer containing most of the information on this page can also be downloaded
To download the flyer, simply click on the link shown just below.
Buller flooding – July 2021
The COVID-19 Level 4 Lockdown comes at a particularly difficult time for those in Buller who have had to move out of their homes or are living in yellow-stickered homes.
If you’re feeling in need of talking to someone – call or text 1737 – any time of day or night.
Some of you will be living in houses that are potentially mouldy. Being outside when the weather permits is healthy and good for general wellbeing. Make sure you’re within the Covid-19 guidelines – stay in your bubble, maintain physical distancing, and keep walks short, local, and for essential exercise only. And keep an eye on the kids – the soil might be contaminated and digging in the dirt in flood-affected areas is not recommended.
Remember all people enrolled at both Buller Medical Centre and Coast Medical in Westport who have been directly affected by the recent flood event have zero fees for GP and Nurse Practitioner appointments until early November this year.
For free health advice after hours, enrolled patients can call their GP practice and follow the instructions on the answerphone – for Buller Medical Centre ring (03) 788-9277 and for Coast Medical ring (03) 789-5000.
If it’s an emergency, please call 111.
For health advice at any time:
- Talk confidentially about a meth or P – 0800 METH HELP 0800 6384-4357
- The Alcohol Drug Helpline offers support to anyone concerned about their own or someone else’s drug or alcohol use 0800 787-797
- For wellbeing support you can talk to a counsellor free of charge, call or text 1737 any time of the day or night
- For pregnancy support and advice over the phone, please call your LMC/midwife
- If you have questions about your young child or baby’s health phone Plunketline on 0800 933-922 to speak to a Plunket nurse
- Visit the HealthInfo website for trusted health advice on a range of issues
- Buller Pharmacy at 168 Palmerston Street Westport is open for over the counter medications and health advice – please wear a mask, socially distance and dress for queuing outside.
- Call Healthline on 0800 611-116 – calls are answered 24/7. If you need to be seen, they will tell you what to do and where to go.
- If you are still living in a red or yellow-stickered house, be aware that dampness and mould can be bad for your health / your children’s health. Make sure you’re taking extra care to wash your hands using soap, or regularly using sanitiser. Clean and disinfect surfaces often. Use diluted household bleach (1 litre of bleach to 10 litres of water) on any areas where mould has developed.
- For Māori whanau, message, phone or email email@example.com, 021 028 3484 at Te Hā O Kawatiri if you need support.
- Contact Poutini Waiora – a kaupapa Māori health and social service provider that delivers holistic care to whanau across Te Tai O Poutini. Free Call: 0800 333-170, Press 3 for Kawatiri.
The Buller Community Hub at 175 Palmerston St is currently closed while the community is in COVID-19 Level 4 lockdown. For welfare needs because of the COVID-19 Level 4 Lockdown, phone 0800 768-348 to be connected to advice and support services.
Support for Māori
Kia kaha, kia maia, kia manawanui
Be strong, be brave, be steadfast!